Saturday 11 June 2011

Children's Books and Illustrations

The first thing to consider when choosing an illustrator is to look at different contracts for them to sign!  I learned this the hard way.

When I first considered writing these books, I had every intention of illustrating them myself. I chose to work with water colors because of the soft and whimsical look water colors can bring.  So I made a special trip down to our local art store and bought special pencils, paint, and water color paper.  Who'd ever thought you could pay $8.oo for a single pencil! I was informed I had to have different HB's n' such as well.  Whew! Way over my head, I just wanted a pencil. So then I told the lady that I would be needing some paper. Well she came back with, "What weight?" "Paper weighs different weights?" I asked.  "No no!" she replied, "it's the different thicknesses of the paper."  "Well I don't know?" I said looking puzzled. I wondered what I got myself into asking for help and by the end, I had a rainbow of selection of weights, HB's and a large collection of paints.

Up to the till I went carrying my cute little basket of goodies. As each item was rung through, I saw the total climbing $$$$ extremely fast! A heavy feeling in my tummy hit me hard as I thought of the different ways I could possibly hide the receipt from my husband.  It was a whopping $150.00! All of it fit into one tiny bag too!  Most women hide shoes from their husband and then there is me, hiding paints, pencils and paper. Oh brother, didn't matter.  I was on a mission! I was an illustrator waiting to be discovered!

So I went down to my local coffee shop, looking cute as can be, so I thought, and I must have had a beaming smile on my face with thoughts of my new ambition and talent. I thought how wonderful it would be to have my book fully illustrated in about a month. I carefully unpacked my "artist's" bag and laid all my equipment out in front of me...I looked at my blank canvas for quite some time not knowing where to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment